Dr. Bekeny is a head and neck surgeon with advanced training in the surgical management of head and neck cancers. His specialized skills include microvascular reconstruction, advanced ablative techniques including transoral robotic and laser surgery. He treats cancers in a wide variety of sites within the head and neck, including cancers involving the mouth, lips, tongue, gums, palate, facial skin, nose, sinuses, throat, tonsils, thyroid, lymph nodes, voice box and vocal cords. His training in microvascular reconstruction allows him to maximize function and preserve quality of life after surgical removal of cancers in these critical areas. He also specializes in managing throat cancers related to the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) in the tonsils and tongue base.
Dr. Bekeny is a graduate of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, TN, and completed his residency training in Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery at Vanderbilt as well. He then went on to complete advanced fellowship training in head and neck surgical oncology and microvascular reconstruction at The Ohio State University Medical Center/The James Cancer Center in Columbus, OH.
Dr. Bekeny is an outstanding addition to the esteemed medical team at Florida ENT Surgical Specialists in Celebration. He welcomes the opportunity to help patients with challenging head and neck cancers by providing the most advanced and effective treatment and reconstructive options available today.
- Head and Neck Cancer Surgery
- Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery
- Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery Transoral Robotic Surgery
- Laser Surgery
- Tongue and Throat Cancer
Awards & Honors
- Poster Award, 2015 Combined Otolaryngology Society Meeting, American Head & Neck Society, Boston, MA
- 2nd Place, Vanderbilt University Department of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery Resident Research Day
- David Zealear Award for Research and Initiative, Vanderbilt University Department of Otolaryngology
- Surgery Clerkship Most Outstanding Student Award, Vanderbilt University Medical School
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Dr. Bekeny’s research has involved numerous topics including transoral robotic surgery, rehabilitation of the paralyzed larynx using an implantable neuromuscular stimulator, reconstruction of the trachea, genetic analysis of head and neck tumors to predict survival outcomes, transnasal robotic skull base surgery, and sleep apnea. His current research focuses on outcomes related to transoral surgery for management of head and neck tumors. He has authored numerous peer-reviewed papers as well as review articles and book chapters. He is an active member in local, state, and national professional societies in his field.